Syria (Tasnim) – The number of children living under siege in Syria has doubled in one year to almost half a million, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said.
“As violence continues to escalate across Syria, the number of children living under siege has doubled in less than one year. Nearly 500,000 children now live in 16 besieged areas across the country, almost completely cut off from humanitarian aid and basic services,” UNICEF said in a press release on Sunday, the Tass news agency reported.
“For millions of human beings in Syria, life has become an endless nightmare – in particular for the hundreds of thousands of children living under siege. Children are being killed and injured, too afraid to go to school or even play, surviving with little food and hardly any medicine,” Anthony Lake, the UNICEF executive director, said.
“This is no way to live – and too many are dying,” he added.
The situation in Aleppo is of particular concern as the city remains divided between government forces in the west and terrorists in the east.
Last week, at least eight children lost their lives in a militant attack on a school in western Aleppo.
The Syrian army has set up several humanitarian corridors for people to quit Aleppo. However, terrorists are said to be preventing civilians from leaving the city in a bid to use them as human shields.
Locals say they are scared to use the exit routes for fear of militant snipers as well as mines and bombs planted by Takfiri elements.
The militants have been dealt heavy blows over the past few months amid advances made by the Syrian army forces and their allies on the ground with the support of Russia’s aerial campaign in the Middle Eastern country.
This report prepared by Tasnim.