(Sputnik) – The US Navy has announced plans upgrade existing infrastructure and build new facilities on the island of Guam after North Korea threatened to fire ICBMs into the waters surrounding the US territory.
“This effort is a big step in strengthening Guam” Lt. Gen. David Berger said in a statement, “as part of the Marianas strategic hub,” referring to the operational merger of Naval Base Guam and Anderson Air Force Base on Guam.
Further, the new $164.9 million worth of new construction will go a long way in “ensuring the Marine Corps’ ability to sustain a forward presence within the Indo-Asia-Pacific region,” Berger noted.
Tokyo will finance the new construction as part of a previously determined agreement with Washington, Military.com reports.
“Guam has always been a central part of our plans. Certainly a central part of the Navy’s plans but now a central part of the entire Department of Defense’s plans,” then-Deputy Defense Secretary Bob Work said in 2014.
On August 14, North Korea’s KCNA reported the Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un was considering launching missiles at Guam. Kim decided to hold off on the strike, which US President Donald Trump called “a very wise and well reasoned decision.”