At Least 30 Bodies Found at Site of Gun Attack in Philippines

Philippines (Sputnik) – At least 30 bodies found at the site of gun attack at Resorts World Manila in Philippines.

 At least 30 bodies were recovered from a shooting scene at the Resorts World Manila leisure complex in the Philippine capital of Manila, a local radio cited sources from the Bureau of Fire Protection as saying Friday.

The ABS-CBN radio said most of the victims suffocated after the gunman, who stormed a casino in the sprawling compound, set fire to the tables and started a blaze. Fifty-four others were hospitalized, according to officials.

By Ramon FVelasquez – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Wikimedia Commons

An operative of the Islamic State terror group (Daesh) claimed responsibility for the attack. But the police chief said they were considering robbery as a possible cause since the gunman “ransacked” the casino storage room and grabbed $2.6 million worth of chips.

The archipelago nation in the Pacific has been on edge since last month when Daesh-affiliated militants stormed the city of Marawi on the southern island of Mindanao, killing several police officers and prompting the president to declare martial law.

This report prepared by Sputnik